Sunday, August 8, 2010

Beach

Again, just trying to get some news out in September. I had forgotten that since Jonathan has started school, he needs to read something during class. Maybe I'll post my papers to this site, because that's all the writing I really have time for.

So, I spent two weeks at beaches this summer. One week was with Elizabeth in Florida, whereupon we were engaged.

Hooray! :)

The other was with my family. It generally followed the pattern of most of our trips to Stone Harbor, except for the following deviations. One deviation was literally that; we diverged from our route to avoid traffic. Relying on my trusted friend Karen (=Garmin GPS), I took our two car caravan (a conversion van and a Buick) on a detour in New Jersey. We traveled smoothly for 2 miles until we hit standstill traffic again. I told everyone that another detour, yet farther off our route, lay only 1 mile ahead. It took maybe 30 minutes move that mile, and once we saw the road Karen had suggested, we hesitated. The sign reading "No Outlet" and the mere 200 yards of pavement that transitioned abruptly into dirt portended ill for our trip. Nevertheless, following the Office 's Michael Scott's move of driving his car into a lake in blind obedience to his GPS, we continued along the dirt path. Karen called this dirt path "Beaver Causeway." She vindicated herself, and more importantly, me, when we discovered an outlet and gained at least 2 miles on our previous position.

Other deviations from the norm included having meal-cooking teams. Debating the organization of the system occupied one hoochie-poo, but it worked wonderfully.

Also, someone caught a baby shark on a fishing line.

Also, the water was freezing on Robbie's last day at the beach. My dad and I took turns babysitting him in the water. I think I suffered hypothermia.

That's all for now. I've been in school for a month. More to follow on that sometime in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment